The 2019 Belle de Jour Power Planner, launching Oct 20-21. See link to event details and tickets below.
There’s a huge change you have at least heard of, if not own a collection, of the Belle de Jour (BDJ) Planners. Yes, it’s that creative, inspiring and empowering planner that disrupted the game of the planner industry. But, did you know that it was bourne out of a career setback? Yes, bourne out of failure!
Darlyn Ty is the creator of BDJ Planners. She created the very first one at the lowest point of her career, with only Php4000 (~74USD) start up fund, 13 years ago.
Be inspired by her story.
“Can you believe it? It has been 13 years since I designed the first ever BDJ Planner. Did you know? The idea of making a BDJ Planner started because I was in between jobs, feeling really down and disappointed with myself. I just had my life’s biggest failures, not being successful in passing a licensure exam and not being regularized in my corporate job. It still pinches a nerve, disappointment and shame from that low point in my life.
“I felt really depressed, but I didn’t want that to affect me. So, I designed the BDJ Planner because I felt I needed the perfect planner when I find the “perfect job” for myself. Little did I know designing that the “perfect planner” would lead me to the “perfect job,” which is this designing products that would empower Filipinos.
“Here we are 13 years later, still alive and kicking, as we have grown the planner into a community of empowered women – actively learning and figuring out what it is that Filipinas need to be able to live out their dream lives. Yes, that’s the ultimate goal-that through the planner (or any of the other planners we already make), and the activities we organize, we are able to inspire and equip you to live out your dreams. It’s never too late and it’s never too early to make the first step.”
The 7 Steps that helped Darlyn in making magic happen:
1) clear your mind
2) loosen up your creative juices
3) find nuggets of wisdom from speakers (and other sources of inspiration) who found their passion AND purpose
4) explore the magic of creating, (e.g) home remedies, baking, or beauty that you can do by yourself
5) discuss answers and questions to challenging life topics like when do you know it’s time to leave, or how to handle pressure from family or how to figure out your passion with your mentors [Darlyn herself, along with two other prominent figures, does a mentoring session in event launch.]
6) crystallize your goals through your hands (e.g. Lego LifeBuild or a Vision Board creation)
7) let everything sink in, reach out to a Gallup-Certified StrengthsFinder Coach to (help) explore your potential
Personally, after finding out about what makes me different, what my strengths are, it helped me focus my energies and created more opportunities for myself.
Not sure if you’re interested to make this happen for yourself, but just sending this link in case, you want to get a Gold Ticket Pass – Gold Pass to the BDJ 2019 Planner Launch.
This is not a sponsored post. But I do believe that we, too, can make magic happen. The 2019 Planner Launch is a fun filled and empowering event so click in the link above to find out more, find inspiration and soar from setback!
Hope this helped. If you liked this post, feel free to share and please click the ‘Follow’ button.
Visit us again at the Engagement Imperative (FB: @engagementimperative) where we talk about people, purpose and engagement in the workplace; and Purposeful Parenting Journey (FB: @purposefulparentingjourneyblog) where we explore and discuss anything and everything parenting.